FREE….. Training for gallery guides available May 22 & 23, 2014
At the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Western Branch Yarmouth
Laura Carmichael, Assistant Curator of Education at the Art Gallery of Nova
Scotia, Halifax, will be in Yarmouth later this month, on May 22nd and
23rd, to give training workshops for local volunteers.
May 22nd noon to 5pm and May 23rd 9am to 4pm (lunch included).
This is a wonderful opportunity to update training or receive a solid
introduction to the art of giving gallery tours and helping with school
visits. Laura uses hands on exercises to explore concepts and principles of
art and then looks at ways of presenting art exhibits to different
audiences. Her sessions last year were very enjoyable, and I'm sure she'll
repeat her success this time!
If you think that you might like to be involved with Gallery tours and/or
class visits, please consider finding out more by coming to these sessions.
They're free and you'll be under no obligation to continue if you find it's
not quite what you wanted.
If you know of anyone that may be interested please pass this on.
For more information or to confirm that you're coming, please call Angela
Collier at 749-2248 or email gov.ns.ca
May 24, 2014 Friends of the Gallery” Maudified” house launch
First, please mark your calendars for these two events:
LAUNCH May 24th, 2 pm More information to follow but the plan is to have the Town Crier start at one of the downtown locations and have a ribbon cutting ceremony, then a short walk to see 2-3 more houses, ending up at the AGNS for a tour of the Maud "Homecoming" show, and refreshments. There will also be a brochure with a self-guided walk located at visitor's centre, AGNS, several outlets in town etc.
AUCTION Sept 14th at the YARC at 2 pm. This will follow three days of Hal Theriault's play at the YARC. More information of the auction later.
INSTALLATION OF THE HOUSES. Following is the schedule of dates, locations, sponsors and artists names for each house. Of course, this is subject to weather, so if you are planning to come by to see the installation, please check with us on the morning to be sure there has not been any changes.
Three are in place:
• Mariner's Centre (Sponsors: City Drug and Home Hardware; Artist Roy Mandel)
• Visitor's Centre (Sponsor: Web.com; Artist Margriet Knubben)
• Ocean Breeze Estates (Sponsor: OBE; Artist Dave Gorman)
Wednesday April 30th 3:30pm
• Lighthouse (Sponsor: Yarmouth Rug Hookers, Artist, Maggie Mandell)
Tues. April 29
• IMO Water Street. (Sponsor: Kersen, Artist Jennie Lamont) 1 pm
• Museum, Collins Street (Sponsor: Vaughne Assurance Ltd., Artist, Tootsie Emin) 2:30 pm
Wed. April 30
• Sealed Landers Park (Sponsor: Avid Media, Artist, Ann Marie Clow) 1 pm
• Yarmouth Town Hall (Sponsor: Town of Yarmouth, Artists, Coral and Sydney Fuller) 2:30 pm
Wed. May 7
• YARC (Sponsor: Carl and Nancy Doty, Artists, Gary Stewart & Steve Nickerson) 1:00 pm
• Alma Square (Sponsor Jim & Dawn MacLeod and CJLS, Artists, Printmakers, Cecil Day, David Cain, Virginia Stoddard, Annie Harding, Ivan Blades) 2:00 pm
• Ferry Terminal (Sponsor: Yarmouth and Area Chamber of Commerce and NSTU, Artists Plymouth School, Grade 5 & 6 Immersion Students) 3:30pm
There is much excitement being generated by this project, and you all have played a significant role. Thank you so much for your contribution and continued support.
Wendy Majestic, Project Coordinator
Sandra Phinney, Chair of the Friends